Here’s an approximate cost breakdown if I were to head into some local electronics stores to purchase components for my portable displays:
- Arduino Nano microcontroller – $45
- USB power bank (with 18650 battery) – $18
- Addressable LED’s – $35 per meter
- Mini USB cable (6ft) $12.60
- AC charger for micro USB – $10
- JST connector male/female – $2.25
Miscellaneous items include zip tie, solder, a few sizes of heat shrink tubing.
Then there’s my labour at a minimum of $40/hr and it takes about 45 minutes to build one.
Oh, did I mention all the time I spent learning/developing the coding and techniques?